|Selection of seed
||Cane borers, scale, mealy bug and woolly aphid
||Canes affected with such insect-pests should be
discarded. Canes from woolly aphid infested field should not be
used for seed.
||Scale, woolly aphid
||Setts should be dipped in Malathion (0.1%) or Dimethoate
(0.08%) for 15 min. before planting.
|At planting time
||Termite, root borer, early shoot borer
||Chlorpyriphos @ 1 kg a.i./ha to be sprinkled
on setts placed in furrows.
|From emergence up to May
||Early shoot borer
- Release of Sturmiopsis inferens @ 125 adult
females/ha (for coastal region in Tamil Nadu).
- Granulosis virus (@
107-109/ml) spray on foliage (for coastal region
in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka).
||Foliar spray of Dimecron (0.03%) or Monocrotophos
(0.04%) or Dimethoate (0.04%).
||Intensive survey for locating woolly aphid infestation
especially near water source (river, pond. marshy land). Alternative
hosts may also be searched. Such foci of aphid infested plants
should be sprayed with insecticide like Metasystox (0.05%) 2-3 times at 15 days interval.
- Soil application of Carbofuran 3G (1.0 kg a.i.) or
Phorate 10G (3.0 kg a.i.)/ha as and when moth of II brood appear.
eastern U.P. and Bihar, application should be done in 2nd week of June,
while in western U.P., Haryana and Punjab (in case of high sugar
varieties) in last week of June.
- In tropics, release of laboratory reared
|July to August
- After first shower of monsoon, adult beetles should
be collected from the nearby trees and killed. For effective
collection, light trap may be used.
- When adult (beetles) emerge,
soil application with Quinalphos 5G @ 2.5 kg a.i./ha.
- No insecticide spray against the pest.
of predators of woolly aphid, Dipha (Conobathra) aphidivora
and Micromus igorotus in infested field where predator activity
is absent or low.
|July to September
||Gurdaspur borer, Plassey borer
||Mechanical removal of infested plants bearing
gregarious larval stage through a campaign.
- Redistribution of Epiricania melanoleuca
cocoon and egg masses from high population bearing fields to low
population ones by stapling cocoon.egg bearing leaf pieces on lower side
- Foliar spray of Metarhizium anisopliae @ 106-107
- Release of adult of Pyrilla infested with
M.anisopliae spores @ 250 adults/ha in infested field.
|July to October
||Stalk borer, Internode borer, Gurdaspur borer, root
- Release of Trichogramma chilonis through
Trichocards @ 50,000 parasitised eggs/ha (4 Trichocards/ha) at 10 days
- Release of Cotesia flavipes @ 500 mated females/ha
at weekly intervals till November.
|October to November
- Detrashing of leaves at monthly intervals.
- Removal of water or late shoots at fortnightly intervals.
- Sprayed Monocrotophos @ 0.75 kg a.i./ha on detrashed canes
(recommended for ring planted canes).
|November to December
||Spray Beauvaria bassiana @ 107 spores/ml.
||Release of black bug adults infested with Beauvaria
bassiana @ 5000 adults/ha.
|At harvesting of crop
||All insect pests
- Stubble shaving flush with the ground.
and destruction of water/late shoots.
- Burning of crops debris.
||Early harvesting of canes latest by February end.